Stockport businesses are being encouraged to lead the digital skills revolution across the Northern Powerhouse and Greater Manchester by supporting digital skills training in Stockport primary schools.
It’s never too early to teach young people digital skills – so believes John Goodier, Google Certified Educator, from 2010it / LearnHow2 who has been teaching digital skills to children at Tithe Barn primary school on Mauldeth Road in Stockport.
G-Suite for Education is Google’s cloud based system that includes lots of useful apps, but, rather than being a cut down version intended for education, this is exactly the same version that a business would use.
Children are accessing Google Cloud and using it as a resource, not an IT lesson and that is the secret of its success, according to John Goodier:
“This way of working allows them to work in a very adult way. They have access to many cloud based apps such as word processors, spreadsheets, presentation software and website building tools. They are moving their digital skills up many levels and are using workplace skills on system that is no different to the business version, and using it on a daily basis.
“Tithe Barn Primary School are leading the way in Stockport by giving children 21st century digital skills. By the age of just 11, they are picking up many of the top ten skills employers are looking for in 2019.”
Ann Coffey MP and Cllr John Wright, Deputy Mayor of Stockport, both attended a demonstration of cloud computing and in particular Google’s, G-Suite for Education on a visit to Tithe Barn school. They were shown a class of children working on Chromebooks, then Year 5 in the IT suite working in teams designing and building websites.
“It was clear from the start both visitors were absolutely “gobsmacked” at what children are achieving and to the extent they are now using and engaging with online digital tools and storage.
“I ran through a short presentation which explained what cloud computing is and three of the schools digital leaders followed this by showing some of the children’s work and explained why they think they are ahead of the game.”
There are many advantages to children…
- Ease of access, Pupils can access Google Apps at anytime, anywhere.
- Students can develop an online portfolio of work throughout their years at the school.
- Parents or carers can easily view and comment on school work.
- Greater understanding of how cloud computing fits into their life.
- Access to a whole suite of cloud applications and addons.
- Access to other cloud services via Gmail account.
- Massive increase in Digital Skills.
Stockport businesses can help to lead the digital skills revolution in Stockport
- By supporting and championing these plans.
- By sponsoring digital skills training in Stockport primary schools – it is the businesses who are eventually are going to benefit
- By working in partnership with schools and contributing around £25 every 6 weeks or so to be able to make the training free.
- Just 10 to 15 Stockport businesses could make this happen
The all Important 4 C’s
Children are learning to make use of four very important 4 C’s – skills that business use almost every day:-
questions, ideas, and
Collaboration occurs when two or more people work together to accomplish a
shared, common goal.
|Critical Thinking |
Looking at problems
in a new way, linking learning across subjects & disciplines.
Trying new approaches to get things done. Picking the best tool or tools to create that masterpiece and finish that job.
“We hear talk of the “Northern Powerhouse”, we need rail, road, tram and a fast internet infrastructure, but what has been forgotten is we also need an infrastructure of skills people. This way of working is the first step in giving people the 21st century skills needed for a 21st century world and to help the “Northern Powerhouse” move forward.
“Tithe Barn Primary School has already run its first training course aimed at introducing cloud computing and digital skills into Stockport schools. We think…
- Every Child in Stockport should be given a chance to use this system
- This is a 21st century learning platform that is totally FREE to education; they should be using it!
If you are a business in Stockport that is interested in sponsoring this training please email email@example.com