Stockport Council are hosting a free Stockport Work & Skills workshop giving local employers the opportunity to influence skills provision and training in the area.
With the devolved adult skills funding that is coming to Greater Manchester next year, they’d like to hear your thoughts and priorities as employers.
Specific workshop events are to be held for businesses to talk to Stockport Council about the work and skills issues they feel are important and to contribute to shaping and influencing the priorities and actions that they will work on in Stockport.
Stockport Council have some ideas about what the issues could be, but want to hear from Stockport’s business community about their experiences and what’s important, as well as what the solutions could be.
Some of the important issues could be:
• How do you get the right skills and qualifications for your workforce?
• Is the apprenticeship levy working for you?
• How could the education system provide work ready young people with the right interpersonal and wider skill sets that you need?
• Who should pay for further training and development of the workforce?
• What should we tell GM to spend our share of devolved skills budget on?
But, they also want to hear your thoughts and ideas about what’s important.
The workshop for businesses is on Monday 29/01 at Cheadle House, De Vere from 9am to 12.20pm with refreshments and lunch included – it’s free to attend. You can book on to the event at this link:
The workshop agenda is:
• Introduction and domestics -10 minutes
• Context including economic analysis /core data and Stockport work and skills ambitions -20 minutes
• Table discussions on the issues – 25 minutes
• Plenary feedback and discussion -20 minutes
• Break and refreshments -15 minutes
• Table discussions focused on solutions to the issues raised in previous table/plenary discussion -25 minutes
• Plenary and discussion -20 minutes
• Summing up and next steps -15 minutes
A spokesperson for Stockport Council explained:
“For businesses and employers, this is a fantastic opportunity to shape and influence what we will be asking for from the devolved adult skills funding that is coming to GM in the next 18 months. It is also a significant piece of work that will influence skills providers and the workforce to be more work ready and to contribute more to your businesses. The workshop and Commission day are a genuine opportunity to contribute your thoughts, ideas, suggestions and views to shape the work and the changes we may want to make going forward to improve things for businesses and the people of Stockport.
“The Commission will end with a whole day event on the 8th March and we will be inviting you to attend that as well in order to set Stockport’s Work and Skills priorities and initial actions to be worked on. After the Commission, we will be setting up the Stockport Work, Skills and Employability Board and we will be looking for members from those that have taken part in the Commission. This Board will drive forward initiatives to improve the Work and Skills issues that have emerged from the Commission.
“We have a website with additional information about the workshop events (including booking), context documents with information and analysis and news about the work of the Commission. Please go to www.stockportwasc.org
Places are limited on the workshops so please do book on to the event ASAP and I would urge you to ask an alternative representative from your business to attend on your behalf to contribute your businesses’ views and asks if you can’t make it so that you don’t miss out.