Stockport Remembers – on November 11th 2018 marks 100 years since the end of World War One and will be marking this important milestone with a ‘Stockport Remembers’ tribute.
Bringing communities and individuals together in a poignant tribute to those from the town who lost their lives during WWI, ‘Stockport Remembers’ is a series of commemorative public events and new exhibitions which look at how and why we remember. Events taking place range from a Lantern Parade and theatre performance to remembrance services and art installations.
We want to give residents and communities the chance to be part of this important milestone by being part of the town’s Lantern Parade on Sunday 11th November or contributing to our immersive new We Are Dreamers art installation in Stockport War Memorial Art Gallery.
Stockport Council is running free workshops in community venues for anyone who would like to get involved. The workshops taking place are:
- Making a Lantern – Come along and make your own poppy-themed lantern so you can be part of Stockport’s Parade of Light. All materials will be provided and a guide will be on hand to give you step-by-step instructions about how to make your lantern. Suitable for those aged 9+. Please book a place by ringing 0161 474 4453 or email email@example.com
- Workshops are being held on:
- Wednesday 24th October, 2-4pm at Stockport Central Library, Wellington Road South
- Sunday 4th November, 1:30 – 3:30pm at Hat Works Museum, Wellington Road South
- Saturday 10th November, 1:30 – 3:30pm at Stockport War Memorial Art Gallery, Wellington Road South
- Sunday 11th November, 1:30- 3:30pm in Stockport’s Central Library, Wellington Road South
- Dreams for your Loved Ones postcard – Taking inspiration from WW1 postcards come and share your dreams for your loved ones by embroidering them onto fabric that will be used in the ‘We Are Dreamers’ installation. Suitable for those aged 14+.
- Drop in workshops are being held on:
- Saturday 6th October, 11am – 4pm at Stockport War Memorial Art Gallery, Wellington Road South
- Saturday 13th October, 11am – 3pm at ARC Centre on Greg Street, Reddish
If you are unable to attend a workshop but would like to create a postcard, you can pick up a free ‘Dream Box’ pack from Stockport War Memorial Art Gallery, Stockport Central Library and Arc Centre in Reddish.
- Make a Dream Jar – Saturday 20th October, 11am – 3:30pm in Hat Works, Wellington Road South
- Inspired by Roald Dahl’s BFG come a make a dream jar full of slime, glitter and gems to be used in our new ‘We Are Dreamers’ installation. Please just drop in to these workshops.
Councillor Alex Ganotis, Leader of Stockport Council, said: “We want the people of Stockport to have the opportunity to be involved in marking this important anniversary and these workshops and events provide a great way to do this. I would encourage everyone who is able to, to get involved and be part of remembering all of those who paid the ultimate sacrifice for our country during World War One.”
To find out more about what is planned visit the website