Listen to this article here
125 graduates from Stockport College and Trafford College’s University Centre have been honoured for their academic achievements at a graduation ceremony in Stockport Town Hall.
The Ceremony in the Town Hall’s ballroom commenced with a procession of academic staff and honoured guests, including the Mayor of both Stockport and Trafford, the Deputy Lord Lieutenant and High Sheriff of Greater Manchester, as well as Guest Speaker Bassit Siddiqui.
Principal and Chief Executive James Scott (pictured) addressed the gathering, emphasising the significance of the occasion and congratulating the graduates on their remarkable achievements. He particularly highlighted the importance of higher education in shaping individuals into well-rounded professionals and contributing members of society.
Founder of Siddiqui Education, Bassit Siddiqui then gave a keynote address for the ceremony. He passionately conveyed the importance of education, curiosity, and lifelong learning, emphasising their role as guiding lights towards one’s true purpose. To him, education is not merely a qualification but a tapestry of lessons and reflections that cultivate curiosity. He implored the audience to embrace this curiosity and confidence as they navigate the ever-changing world of exploration, learning, and growth, guided by the curiosity and knowledge they’ve acquired.
Students were then presented with their formal qualifications, with awards including BA Honours and Foundation degrees, HNDs, HNCs and a wide variety of higher professional qualifications across a number of disciplines.
Jane Nickisson, Assistant Principal for Higher Education also presented the Higher Education Student of the Year Awards to outstanding graduates. These graduates had demonstrated exceptional academic excellence and contributions to their respective fields. The recipients of this year’s awards were:
- Grace Taylor, Higher Education Student of the Year 2023 for Creative Arts
- Estelle Read-Hoyle, Higher Education Student of the Year 2023 for Computing
- Kaine Latif, Higher Education Student of the Year 2023 for Construction
- Christian Chalfont, Higher Education Student of the Year 2023 for Counselling
- Kerry Sargeant, Higher Education Student of the Year 2023 for Early Years
- Luke Winstanley, Higher Education Student of the Year 2023 for Education and Training
- Conor Mills, Higher Education Student of the Year 2023 for Engineering
- Daryll Abrahams, Higher Education Student of the Year 2023 for Sport
- Luke Winstanley, Outstanding Achievement for Higher Education Student of the Year 2023
Jane Nickisson, Assistant Principal for Higher Education at Trafford College Group, said:
“I was delighted and honoured to host the Trafford College Group and University Centre, Stockport College Graduation 2023. We welcomed over 600 attendees; Graduates and their families, distinguished guests and our amazing Academic Staff, to Stockport Town Hall, to be part of this memorable celebration of personal and academic achievements.”