Listen to this article here
Business in Stockport are being invited to get behind a major sport festival coming to the town centre on Sunday 26th June 2022: StockSport.
The event will bring together a range of sports sector partners including Crazy Legs Events, Trek Wilmslow, Red Bull, Sports Feet, Lancashire Cricket Foundation, Stockport County, British Cycling, and many more, to attract a new audience to the joys of sport.
This high-profile event builds on the hugely successful Stockport Cycling Festival and Urban 5k held in
September 2021, which attracted thousands of visitors to the town centre and raised over £5,500 for charities. StockSport 2022 aims to inspire the people of Stockport and surrounding areas of Greater Manchester to get active and will set the scene for the Greater Manchester stage of the Tour of Britain in 2023 and the Womens Tour in 2024.
The day’s events will include a morning running festival, and two Event Villages taking place in the afternoon with fun, free activities suitable for all. The town centre will then host the Criterium Racing Series in the evening.
Businesses are being invited to back the event in a number of ways, including sponsorship packages and encouraging colleagues to participate in the action taking place throughout the day.
People can choose from a buggy and wheelchair friendly one mile route, 5K or 10K, all starting and finishing in St Peters Square. The StockSport Mile, setting off at 9am, is perfect for families to enjoy together, for wheelchair users or for anyone that wants to do something fun and sociable – choose to walk, jog, or run it and grab a medal at the end!
The 5K and 10K, setting off at 10am, are chip timed events on a mixture of road and trail. Enjoy a traffic free route with friends or take on the StockSport Pacers and see how quickly you can get round the course. All finishers will receive a medal and 10k finishers will also receive a technical T-shirt.
How can your organisation get involved in StockSport and what are the benefits?
- Become a StockSport partner – There are a range of sponsorship options available, including the opportunity to be the official T-shirt and Medal sponsor, or have your business’ brand on finishing-lines and other key focal points throughout the day. A full Sponsorship Pack is available to download here and to view below.
- Participate – invest in the health and wellbeing of your workforce by encouraging or subsiding their entries into the Running Festival. Why not run for charity or dress up? A corporate discount is available by using the code StockSport_Corp22 The best way to enter is via this link.
- Volunteer – lots of helping hands are required to make this a fantastic event: roles include marshalling, manning the water stations, handing out medals and t-shirts, helping set up in the morning and tidy up in the evening. Sasha Moore of Life Leisure is the StockSport Volunteer Co-ordinator.
- Donate prizes for giveaways or sponsor a homeless young person under the Depaul charity or a family living in financial hardship to take part in the My First Mile together
- Help spread the word – display posters and fliers in your office, share social media posts, tell your friends and families. Contact Karen Hall at Stockport Council, who is leading on communications for StockSport, for hard copy A4 posters and A5 fliers.