The shining stars within the Stockport care sector were unveiled at a celebratory award ceremony at Stockport County earlier this month.
The Stockport Star awards were launched by Stockport Together as a way of recognising the good practice among the Stockport Care sector in the care homes and in home care.
Hundreds of staff had been nominated for the awards, which are in their second year, and the judges had the unenviable task of whittling the numbers down to just six winners plus the overall star.
The winner of the overall Stockport Star award was the Windsor Unit at Marple Dale Nursing Home for the excellent quality end of life care it has provided.
Their award was presented by BBC North West Tonight presenter Annabel Tiffin.
The winners in the other categories were as follows:
• Inspirational Leader: Yvonne Davenport, Caritas Abbeyfield House, Gatley.
• Best Care Home Worker: Sam Barret, Brinnington Hall.
• RCN Award for Best Care Home Nurse-Laura Newton, Caritas Abbeyfield House, Gatley
• Best Support Worker: Anna Rogers, Quality Care of Cheadle.
• Best Care Home: Abbeyfield House, Bramhall.
• Excellence in Quality Award: Windsor Unit, Marple Dale
Councillor Wendy Wild, Deputy Leader of Stockport Council and Cabinet Member for Adult Social Care said:
It was wonderful to hear about the inspirational work of the borough’s care workers and good practice in care homes. I’m so proud of the dedicated people we have working in the borough’s care sector. May I offer my congratulations to all those that were recognised on the night and in being nominated.”
The Stockport Care Sector Stockport star Awards event was sponsored by Barchester Healthcare and Harbour Healthcare.