In celebration of International Women’s Day, Smart Works are asking teams of up to 5 to Spin for Smart Works.
Each team will collectively cycle up to 500 miles, on a road bike or a stationary bike in the gym, between Monday 6 March and Friday 10 March.
500 miles is a challenging number but a significant one as it is the distance between all five of the Smart Works sites across the UK – London to Edinburgh, via Reading, Manchester and Birmingham.
Smart Works are a hugely important charity helping women back into work and are passionate about taking Smart Works to many more cities so the service is accessible to every woman who needs it in the UK. The funds raised from the Spin for Smart Works challenge will help set up other centres and support our current centres with their growth.
On Monday 6 March, the challenge starts.
All the teams competing will cycle as many miles as possible to get as close to the 500 mile target by midnight on Friday 10 March. Team members can choose how they want to complete their miles, whether that be on a road bike during their commute or on a stationary bike in the gym, as long as they record their distance. We will be using an honour system for the challenge as everyone will be counting their own miles.
Prizes will be awarded as follows:
- Prize for team that completes the challenge first
- Prize for individual that covers the furthest distance
- Prize for team that raises the most money in sponsorship
- Get up to 5 team members together to compete in Spin for Smart Works and nominate a Team Captain
- The Team Captain will sign up and pay the £35 team entry fee
- Once the team has been registered all individuals will receive an initial confirmation email of sign up followed by an email from Smart Works containing an information pack
- The Team Captain will visit the Spin for Smart Works Just Giving page and set their team up as a fundraiser for the event (instructions on how to do this will be sent to the Team Captain)
- Everyone in the team gets sponsored for the event directing sponsorship to their team Just Giving page
- Post on social media to let people know you’ve signed up using the event hashtag #spinforsmartworks
How the challenge works:
- Starting Monday 6 March each individual will get on their bike and start getting the miles in, contributing to their teams overall distance
- Since we are using an honour system for the cycle ride individuals will need to record their mileage count
- On Monday morning Smart Works will start a group email trail with your team and ask that all team members send their daily mile count to us at the end of each challenge day
- Each morning of the Spin for Smart Works challenge we will send a progress update to all cyclists involved and how well they are doing in comparison to other teams
- We will be posting on social media so do get involved using our event hashtag #spinforsmartworks
Contact Samantha Jones if you want more information or have any queries.