Yesterday’s local elections has resulted in the residents of Stockport getting a new leader of the Council.
Labour Councillor Alex Ganotis takes over from former Lib Dem Council Leader Sue Derbyshire.
The Council remains with no one party in overall control.
Of the seats up for election, there were few changes: the Conservatives took Marple from the Lib Dems; Labour took Manor from the Lib Dems resulting in former leader Sue Derbyshire losing her seat; the Lib Dems gained Offerton from Labour.
Councillor Alex Ganotis now Stockport Council leader, said: “I think it is the start of a new era, it is a significant election result.
“The overall change in seats is not great but the overall difference it has made is a big change.
“I think it is the combination of a very strong Labour campaign and people wanting a change, the Lib Dems have taken Stockport for granted.
“We feel times will be very tough over the next few years there are going to be huge [government funding] cuts so it is important we have a Labour group in charge.”
Speaking after the results Coun Ganotis said there would be proper consultation about the proposed move of Stockport Market.
Other policies he plans to implement include jobs guarantees for school leavers, reduced bus travel and the creation of the council’s own construction company.
LOCAL ELECTION RESULTS 2016
The results of the voting in the Stockport local elections 5th May 2016 are as follows;
• Bramhall North Ward: Linda Holt (Conservative)
• Bramhall South & Woodford Ward: Brian Bagnall (Conservative)
• Bredbury & Woodley Ward: Christine Corris (Liberal Democrats)
• Bredbury Green & Romiley Ward:Lisa Smart (Liberal Democrat)
• Brinnington & Central Ward: Andy Sorton (Labour)
• Cheadle & Gatley Ward: Keith Holloway (Liberal Democrat)
• Cheadle Hulme North Ward: John Pantall (Liberal Democrat)
• Cheadle Hulme South Ward: Mark Hunter (Liberal Democrat)
• Davenport & Cale Green Ward: Wendy Wild (Labour)
• Edgeley & Cheadle Heath Ward: Sheila Bailey (Labour)
• Hazel Grove Ward: Jon Twigge (Liberal Democrat)
• Heald Green Ward: Anna Charles-Jones (Independent Rate Payer)
• Heatons North Ward: David Sedgwick (Labour)
• Heatons South Ward: Colin Foster (Labour)
• Manor Ward: Charlie Stewart (Labour)
• Marple North Ward: Malcolm Allan (Liberal Democrat)
• Marple South Ward: Tom Dowse (Conservative)
• Offerton Ward: Laura Booth (Liberal Democrat)
• Reddish North Ward: Kate Butler (Labour)
• Reddish South Ward: Yvonne Guariento (Labour)
• Stepping Hill Ward: Mark Weldon (Liberal Democrat)