The Stockport Express is reporting that the new Labour-controlled Stockport Council will scrap plans for Stockport Market.
The paper says new council leader Alex Ganotis will ‘go back to the drawing board’ and consult with traders and shoppers.
Before the local elections there had been plans to turn the market into a food hall, similar to Altrincham, but move existing traders down to nearer Merseyway.
“As part of this process the new executive member for the economy will be sending the council officers who have been working on these plans back to the drawing board, as well as meeting traders, affected businesses, and shoppers.
“As Labour has consistently said, any plan needs to be about improving the market and working with traders to help them grow their businesses and bring new traders in, rather than flying in the face of what the wishes of the local community are.
“Our historic market is such a jewel in the crown for our borough that it is incredibly important to not rush into changes which haven’t been thought through.
“A Labour council will make sure we get this right and not rush to meet arbitrary deadline.”
Labour will officially form a new administration to run the council on May 24.