Greater Manchester based businesses and partners are being encouraged to use pedal power in May to put GM on the European Cycling Map.
The European Cycling Challenge (ECC) is an annual ‘urban cycling’ competition taking place each May.
Starting out as a small pilot in Bologna, with around 70 people, the European Cycling Challenge is now one of the biggest European cycling events. In 2016, 52 cities from 17 Countries joined the Challenge, and 46,000 people cycled 4,000,000 km during May.
This year Greater Manchester are getting in the saddle for the first time, led and promoted by Transport for Great Manchester and in conjunction with cycling partners and stakeholders across the region.
Turn Cycling into FUN!
- The competition approach turns cycling trips into fun activities, encouraging people to use their bikes for leisure or commuting as much as possible.
- Participants track their journeys with a free tracking App and online leader boards will show distances travelled for all participating cities.
- Registration is possible via the Naviki App from the 1st April and the competition officially begins on the 1st May. The ECC will also provide valuable GPS data on movements and routes travelled, which can be used to influence cycling network and infrastructure planning.
“In order to get Greater Manchester firmly on the European cycling map, and as high up the leader boards as possible, we need the help and support of partners and businesses in Greater Manchester. This is where you come in!
“We need you to….
- Communicate and promote the challenge within your organisation/team throughout April and May, and encourage your employees/colleagues to register to take part. We will be supplying a ‘toolkit’ containing content and images that can be used across digital, social media and for newsletters etc. nearer the time
- Spread the word via your own partners, suppliers and stakeholders
- Share your ideas with us for how we can get as many people in Greater Manchester as possible to sign up and take part
If you are interested in getting involved and supporting in any way email TfGM who will be in touch to discuss your individual involvement.
Let’s all get together as Greater Manchester to make a big impact on the European Cycling Challenge in our first year!