Christmas is coming to Stockport with Christmas lights, exciting events, festive markets, free parking and late night shopping – just some of the great things on offer.
Celebrations will kick off with Merseyway’s Christmas Lights Switch On event on Wednesday 16th November from 5pm, with some fantastic live entertainment – including performances from Union J and Stooshe – to get us into the Christmas spirit. The Council will be providing FREE parking from 3pm at Merseyway.
Shoppers can find everything they need for the festive season with a wide variety of high street shops and small independents, both in the town centre and in the district and local centres.
Many stores in the town centre will be open until late evening every Wednesday from 16th November until 21st December, then on weekdays between 12th December and 23rd December.
The Market Place will be open during the following:
• Covered Market & Produce Hall: Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday 9am to 4.30pm
• Open Market: Tuesday, Friday and Saturday 9am to 4.30pm (Foodie Friday closes at 4pm)
• The 20th Century stores: Thursdays 10am to 4pm and Tuesday, Friday, Saturday 10am to 5pm
• Christmas Opening Hours: Sunday 18th December (10am to 4pm); Tuesday 20th December (9am to 4:30pm); Saturday 24th December (9am to 3pm)
The Council is also offering FREE parking in Council-owned pay and display car parks:
• Wednesdays between 16th November and 21st December after 3pm
• Every Sunday between 4th December and 29th January all day
• 26th/27th December and 2nd January all day
Car parks where this offer applies: Merseyway, Heaton Lane, Newbridge Lane, Churchgate and Knightsbridge.
Town centre shoppers can also get around by hopping aboard the free Metroshuttle bus which runs every 15 minutes.
Councillor Kate Butler, Stockport Council’s Executive Member for Economy and Regeneration, said: “There will be plenty going on in Stockport in the run up to Christmas for people of all ages to enjoy, including a variety of festive entertainment and attractions in the town centre and across the borough’s district centres.
“I hope that everyone can soak up the fantastic atmosphere by shopping in Stockport, supporting our local businesses, and taking advantage of the wide range of activities which will be happening during this festive season.”
For more information on Christmas in Stockport, visit www.stockport.gov.uk/christmas.